Snæfellsnes photo day tour
Visit Iceland’s Snæfellsnes Peninsular
Journey to the centre of the earth with this epic full day photo tour of Snæfellsnes. You will certainly feel connected to the centre of the Earth as you stand on an ancient lava field surrounded by tinder cones and photograph the twisted rocks. The Snæfellsnes Peninsular hosts some of Iceland’s oldest and dormant volcanoes including the endangered Snæfellsjökull. There are many beautiful coastlines with mad basalt forms and centuries of Icelandic fishing history.
Seasons: Running all seasons.
Summer: The tour may start early afternoon in Summer. This trip may involve shooting through the night hours (20.00-02.00) and returning to Reykjavik early morning during Mid-Summer. We will revert to daylight hours through August.
- Winter: Regular morning starts from 07.30 – 09.30 for most of the Winter.
- Duration: around 10 hours
The Snæfellsnes photo trip works well in both Summer and Winter. The mountain road up to the glacier becomes open around Mid-Summer. From here you will have great views over Snæfellsnes with fantastic photo opportunities. During the Winter, a layer of snow on Kirkjufell and some ice on Kirkjufellsfoss cannot be topped! The South Snæfellsnes peninsular coastline with turbulent waves is stunning in Winter light.
Some of our favourite coastlines are on the Snæfellsnes Peninsular. Knowing the best view points can really help you get the shot right first time. These cliffs are also home to a wide variety of seabirds, such as kitty-wakes and guillemots and the occasional puffin. There are some amazing local restaurants in the coastal towns, plenty of chance to try some local food or browse some local books.
Visit the home of Iceland’s serial killer as well as some quaint churches.
We visit several photo locations at a flexible pace to get the best light and conditions. Emphasis will be on getting you to a top location for the sunset.
Snæfellsnes Day Tour
Our 8-10 hour of Iceland’s fascinating Snæfellsnes Peninsular is a good value adventure. As the setting for Jule’s Verne’s “Journey to the center of the earth”, the magic will also hit you from time to time as we explore the nooks and crannies of this crazy headland. Snæfellsnes is shaped by violent eruptions, the weather and generations of Icelanders. The highlight is Kirkjufellsfoss, but there are amazing coastlines and lava fields to keep us busy before we get there.
The famous Church mountain is often our main stop, so the tour will try to be here for the sunset. This fascinating waterfall complex has 2 levels and a wide variety of access points. The challenge is to include the Church mountain (Kirkjufell) and one of the may levels of waterfall in your scene.
These day tours are managed by our photo guide Bragi. This tour is private and focused on spending a day with an experienced photographer. This is suitable for all levels of photography skills, from a beginner to a professional photographer. Even if you are just taking photos on you smart phone we will give you advice on composition etc.
Last but no least we can also offer the service of photographing you and your group during the day.
- Pick-up and drop-off from Reykjavik hotels.
- Everyone welcome.
- All tours are flexible.
- Pro photo guides
- Food & drinks
What do I need to bring?
Camera, phone, tripod and good spirit
Private tours The price is for up to 4 passengers, if your group is larger than 4 please contact us.
12 hours (flexible)
Looking for something different?
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 2 days or less before event
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 70% if booking is cancelled 5 days or less before event
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 30% if booking is cancelled 7 days or less before event
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 0% if booking is cancelled 8 days or less before event
Why book with us?
- Established 2010 – at the same time as the Eyjafjallajokull Volcanic eruption
- All our guides are experienced photographers and tour operators. They are fully licensed and registered with the Icelandic Tourist board.
- We are connected to many other Iceland tour companies, so we can really tailor your tour to suit your needs.
- We use licensed Icelandic Travel agents – Aurora Hunters. ehf to solve your hotel needs.
- All our Winter photo tours provide micro-spike style crampons for slippery surfaces.
- Borgarnes – beautiful views across Borgarfjörður – Walter Mitty scene
- Buðir – the black church
- Arnarstapi – seastacks and arches – quirky lunch cafe
- Djuparlon – a cove with a ship wreck and heavy lifting stones for strong men (and ladies)
- Londrangar – colourful bird cliffs and view of Snæfellsjökull
- Snæfellsjökull – jeep tours can drive over the volcano route in late Summer
- Olafsvík – fishing village
- Grundarfjörður – Kirkjufell – the famous Church Mountain
- Berserkurhraun – a crazy lava field for Jeep tours
Intended as possible locations and may depend on weather conditions.