Ice cave exploring
Love these Winter mornings on our photo trips. The ice caves are incredibly beautiful and it can be worth getting down early to the Vatnjokull Ice caves. An ice cave beneath the glacier is one of the best place in the world to photograph glacier ice. Our tours work together with professional local guides to get us into ice caves safely.
This photo was taken deep in the Crystal caves a few years ago on my 5 day Winter Workshop. Because the edge of the glacier is receding, the cave is completely different each year. The crystal caves still host many visitors each Winter, but they have become too busy with tourists. On our Winter photo workshop we have a special arrangement to visit wen there are no other tours visiting.
Ice cave photography
Ice caves can be difficult to photograph because you have extremes of light. Bright light at the entrance and darkness deeper into the cave make exposure work complicated. Sometimes very long exposures of several minutes is necessary. It is always good to have an experienced photo workshop instructor to help.
Did you know this about Iceland?
- Hvannadalshnukur (2,119m) is the highest mountain peak in Iceland.
- Vatnajokull glacier in Southeast Iceland is the largest glacier in Europe.
- In the last part of the nineteenth century almost twenty percent of Iceland’s population emigrated to North America.
Facts about glaciers
Some glacial ice is highly compressed & looks bright blue!
Photo tours with Ice caves
Photo tours with Ice caves.
This photo tour combines the Golden Circle, Snæfellsnes Peninsular , South coast & Jökulsarlon photo tours to give a complete South Iceland experience.
This multi-day tour will take you around the best of South & West Iceland in six days. Touring from North West to South East with many top photo locations.
Iceland has a rich variety of landscapes and seascapes and this tour is designed to enhance that variety & capture Iceland’s full diversity.
Photo workshop with Ice caves
8 day package
6 day tour
- Landscape & Nature photography
- Regular dates – Nov-Mar
- Maximum Number of Participants: 8
- Total price: $4.200 USD pp.
- Single room supp.$650 USD
11 day package
9 day tour
- Nature & landscape photography
- Regular dates from Nov – Feb
- Maximum Number of Participants: 14
- Total Price : $5200 USD
- Single room supplement: $700 USD