Jökulsarlon - Vestrahorn - South Coast
Scheduled Photo tour
This 3 day tour of the South coast, Jökulsárlón and Höfn offers great photo opportunities and an all round adventure.
Capture the great scenic views of Vatnjökull glacier, surrounding lagoons and networks of glacial rivers and volcanic scars. Reflected calmly in Jökulsarlon – the glacial lake.
This photo adventure includes Jökulsarlon, Mount Vestrahorn and the South shore. In 3 days we can explore so much along the south coast like the Skogafoss waterfalls and black sand beaches. Overnighte are never far from the glacier lagoon, so we are in a good location if we are lucky enough to see auroras or catch a Sunrise on the Diamond ice beach – the black sand beach with glacial ice. We may visit waterfalls – Seljalandsfoss and the mighty Skogafoss, Reynisdrangur sea-stacks, Fjaðrárgljúfur River Gorge, Skaftafell, Jökulsarlon & Diamond ice beach, Fjalsarlon, Höfn, Vesturhorn Mountain. Activities may include ice-cave exploring (mid-Winter only), we trust your photo guide to judge the best locations for the available time and weather.
We visit many locations on Iceland’s South Coast on the way out and on the return. Huge waterfalls, black sand beaches and incredible sea cliffs are just part of the first day.
Jökulsarlon Glacier lagoon
We can promise you ice! The glacier lake at Jökulsarlon has been retreating for nearly 100 years and it is common to see it crowded with blue icebergs. The photographer is regularly treated to an great range of textures, challenging compositions and perfect reflections.
Diamond Ice Beach
The diamond ice beach is often filled with large bergs of glacier ice that have made their way out to the ocean. They become sculpted by the sea and get washed up on the black beach and look amazing with a colourful sunrise.
This 3 day Photo Trip is designed for serious travel photographers. It is for people who want to see and photograph some of the best Icelandic locations and maximise photo opportunities. The tour gives you two opportunities for Sunrise on the Diamond beach and Auroras over Jokulsarlon.
We make the best of any clear skies in the Jökulsarlon region and if we are very fortunate we could get some still reflection on Jokulsarlon. The glacier lagoon is probably the best place in the world for Northern lights photography.
But auroras can never be guaranteed on a trip.
Ice caves (Mid Winter only Nov-March)
If sub-zero temperatures persist, the glacier rivers stop and allow access to the Ice Caves that have been created by the rivers. The popular ice caves can become crowded, so we offer the chance to upgrade to an ice cave adventure for better photographs.
- 03-Sep-2019 & 05-Sep-2019
- 24-Sep-2019 & 26-Sep-2019
- 01-Oct-2019 & 03-Oct-2019
- 22-Oct-2019 & 24-Oct-2019
- 29-Oct-2019 & 31-Oct-2019
- 19-Nov-2019 & 21-Nov-2019
- 26-Nov-2019 & 28-Nov-2019
- 03-Dec-2019 & 07-Dec-2019
- 21-Jan-2020 & 23-Jan-2020
- 28-Jan-2020 & 30-Jan-2020
- 18-Feb-2020 & 20-Feb-2020
- 25-Feb-2020 & 27-Feb-2020
- 17-Mar-2020 & 19-Mar-2020
- 24-Mar-2020 & 26-Mar-2020
Book your 3 day tour
Book a quality multi-day tour with other passengers. Confirmation depends on passenger numbers – min = 4, Max = 8.
Seasons: Running through aurora season = Sept-March
Winter (Mid Sept – Mid April ) start times are around 09.30. We shoot regular hours which could include night shooting for Auroras and sunrise/set on the ice beach.
- Includes pick-up and drop-off from the Reykjavik area.
- Includes accommodation for the duration of the tour.
- Suitable for photographers.
- Includes Flybus.
- Includes Spikes/crampons for icy conditions.
Breakfast is normally include in the Hotel. We usually eat evening meal in Restaurants. Prices are between $20-$40 for a main meal. For convenience, you can include your meals in the package.
We stay overnight near Jokulsarlon at Country Hotel Hali.
Please note: The driver will take you to the photo locations and can give you information and advice, but photo tuition should not be expected on these tours. Please see our private tours and workshops for tours with tuition.
Why book with us?
- Established 2010 – at the same time as the Eyjafjallajokull Volcanic eruption
- All our guides are experienced photographers and tour operators. They are fully licensed and registered with the Icelandic Tourist board.
- We are connected to many other Iceland tour companies, so we can really tailor your tour to suit your needs.
- We use licensed Icelandic Travel agents – Aurora Hunters. ehf to solve your hotel needs.
- All Winter tours provide micro-spike style crampons for slippery surfaces.