The main attraction used to be the huge geyser ‘Geysir’ which rarely spouts these days. It happens less than once a year and you would be extremely lucky to see it. It used to be a regular occurrence until a powerful earthquake rearranged the plumbing. It was discovered that the adding of soap powder could stimulate an eruption and this practice was reserved for dignitaries until she finally gave up the ghost.
Strökkur is described as Geysir’s little brother. The eruptions are more frequent and occur around every 15 minutes. The photographic challenge is to either capture the bubble which occurs just before eruption or to capture the height of eruption. The scene just after eruption is just a veil of mist. Camera settings to capture and freeze the movement are usually very fast shutter speeds of at least 1/125, but sometimes I have experimented with slower shutters to achieve slightly more original shots.
This spot is often the coldest spot in Iceland as Arctic winds blow straight from Iceland’s interior. The area is very close to Gullfoss and has a hotel, restaurant and gift shop (selling dead animal fur – ugh!) which are open during regular hours.
Photo tips: Use a wide lens (17-24mm) to shoot the full Geysir eruption. Use a short lens (70-100mm) to shoot the pre-eruption blue bubble. Adjust iso to 200-400 to get a fast shutter. Capture the action. Try shooting into the sun to get a dramatic back lighting – don’t forget to compensate!!
Photo tours that visit Geysir
This 2 day Iceland Photo Tour with erupting geysers, waterfalls & sea cliffs & then stay in a fishing village waiting for auroras on the Snæfellsnes peninsular
This four day Photo Tour of the Gullfoss waterfall, Geysir, South coast, Jökulsárlón and Höfn offer a huge range of photo opportunities.
This photo tour combines the Golden Circle, Snæfellsnes Peninsular , South coast & Jökulsarlon photo tours to give a complete South Iceland experience.
This multi-day tour will take you around the best of South & West Iceland in six days. Touring from North West to South East with many top photo locations.
Iceland has a rich variety of landscapes and seascapes and this tour is designed to enhance that variety & capture Iceland’s full diversity.
Geysir is the home of the original Geyser. Geysir doesn’t erupt often, but his little brother Strokkur should offer several eruptions on this photo tour.
This Iceland photo tour crosses vast stony deserts with mountain tracks to Iceland’s wildest geothermal hot-spots & the best North Iceland features.
Golden Circle Bus Tours
These Golden Circle bus tours are a great way to explore Iceland’s national treasures on a budget. These sightseeing tours are run in bus or minibus. The bus tours are arranged with the most expensive at the top.
The Sightseeing tours below visit Geysir.
- Thingvellir – the center of Icelandic history and the best place on earth to view the North Atlantic ridge.
- Efstidalur farm – tasty farm products and friendly farm animals.
- Geysir – Hot Spring Area with the erupting Strokkur which jets water 30 meters into the air every 4 – 10 minutes
- Gullfoss (Golden Falls) – a waterfall with spectacular views of the forces and beauty of nature
- Kerid – a striking crater-lake, believed to be a collapsed magma chamber around 6,000 years ago
- We are always prepared for an extra stop to see Icelandic horses at the roadside. Free WiFi in the vehicle
The departure for this Midnight Sun Golden Circle tour is 6:00 – 6:30 pm
Our main Sightseeing locations
- Site of the world’s first parliament – Althingi at Thingvellir (Þingvellir) National Park. Continental plates can be seen here, slowly separating Europe and America.
- Geysir geothermal area. Geysers erupt here. Strokkur erupts every 5-10 minutes – have your cameras loaded!
- The golden waterfall Gullfoss will leave you dazzled by the views. It is very beautiful to photograph and important in Icelandic culture.
- On our Midnight Sun Golden Circle tour visits one of Iceland’s oldest swimming pools – Secret Lagoon (Gamla Laugin). Please bring your swimsuit and towel (can be rented).
- Duration: 9 hours
- Difficulty : Very easy
- Main Sights: – Þingvellir National Park – Gullfoss waterfall – Geysir hot spring – Haukadalur geothermal area – Secret Lagoon hot spring nature bath Available daily!
- Our Golden Circle sightseeing tour visits 3 major locations; Thingvellir, site of the World’s first Parliament that met each year outdoors, beginning in 930 AD continuing until 1798.
- We visit Europe’s largest waterfall, the beautiful Gullfoss and the geothermal fields at Geysir with a chance to get close to the erupting geyser, Strokkur. The last stop is the Secret Lagoon a geothermal nature bath.
- An excellent sightseeing tour combining two of the best things Iceland has to offer, amazing locations and a warm geothermal bath (full facilities).
After our Golden Circle sightseeing adventure with its natural wonders, great food, historical and cultural experiences, you can relax and enjoy the drive back to Reykjavík under our panoramic roof.
- First stop Thingvellir National Park. During your visit at Þingvellir you may come across Drekkingarhylur, the Drowning Pool and the hanging rock, both sites of execution.
- Next is Gullfoss waterfall, where you can take as many photos as possible along the designated paths.
- We visit Geysir – a geothermal wonderland where we see Strokkur erupt every few minutes. Don’t put your camera down, you could miss it.
- Faxi waterfall is a hidden treasure in the Icelandic wilderness.
- Icelandic Horse – get up close to the beautiful Icelandic Horse and take a selfie with them.
- The final location is the old fishing village of Eyrarbakki.
- After a fun filled day of the Golden Circle, natural wonders, exquisite food, historical trivia and cultural experiences, you can sit back, relax and enjoy the ride back to Reykjavík under our panoramic roof.
- Geysir geothermal area
- Gullfoss waterfall
- Þingvellir National Park
- Kerið volcanic crater (entrance fee included)
- Faxi waterfall
After the tour, we drop you off at your accommodation in Reykjavik.
- At Geysir we get the chance to observe the Geyser Strokkur erupting in this geothermal area with many hot springs.
- The immense waterfall at Gullfoss, is only 10 minutes from Geysir. The powerful river cascades in two steps into a deep canyon.
- Þingvellir National Park is a wonderful geological site, located on the ridges of the North American and Eurasian continental plates. It’s also a historical place. It’s the home of the first parliament since 930. Þingvellir has been on the UNESCO World Heritage List since 2004.
- Our sightseeing tour includes the volcanic crater lake at Kerið, and the Faxi Waterfall.
- Þingvellir National Park
- Gullfoss waterfall
- Erupting Geysir geothermal area
Tour starts at 11.00
The Geysir geothermal area has many hot springs, including the frequently erupting Strokkur – the most active geyser in Iceland. At Gullfoss you can stand next to the powerful waterfall tumble into a deep gorge.
Thingvellir National Park, an area of historical and geological significance. In an afternoon you encounter a selection of Iceland’s natural wonders.
Tour duration: 12:30 – 18:00
Sightseeing combination tours
Visit the Geysir with one of our partners on one of these combination tours.